Translate and Zoom into the molecular model
atoms and bonds within molecules.
molecular model residue sequence
Atom and Bond Lists
various industry & academic standard file formats
Download a PDB from RSCB server –
User can also customize the request URL
derived from the larger Zeus
project and is an experimental molecular visualisation project. Athena uses the
Sun (now Oracle) Java-3d
visualisation library that wraps OpenGL/DirectX. Designed to run on the
Solaris Unix operating system Athena also runs on Windows via the Java Virtual
Unlike Zeus which employs the LWJGL
(Light-weight Java Gaming Library), Athena makes use of the Java-3d
rendering libraries. The LWJGL is an OpenGL
wrapper that simply exposes OpenGL functions to Java whereas Java-3d uses an
object orientated means of constructing directed acyclic graphs to
generate the rendering scene which it then uses OpenGL/DirectX to render.
– uses Van der waal’s Radii to size atoms appropriately
Bezier “Bernstein” function through peptide/nucleic acid backbone
1. Athena windows is provided as a self-contained EXE installer program
2. Creates two batch files and shortcuts to run 32 bit and 64-bit versions on the JVM.
3. A 32/64-bit JVM (Java Virtual Machine) must be available via the path.
4. Java-3d libraries are provided with the installer, should you wish to install
them manually they are freely available from Oracle's
Java3d website (ensure the correct version is downloaded).